Hot Art

thursday day 5

In New York, there's no jumping from AC cloud to AC cloud, avoiding the heat in monster SUVs, taking bites of your Whataburger at intermittent stop signs. The idea of the city forces you to reckon with the outside world-- the heat, the people... It's all about sweet smelling garbage and human traffic. That, and eating your burgers where you buy them.

Point being: it's hot!

However, New York summer heat is quelled by the city's benefactions of free shows in the park. A lot of them.

My Thursday night can be summed up as follows:

FREE Metric concert in Prospect Park
$4 mango martinis on Smith street
a serving bowl of frozen lemon rum-a-lum shared among friends on Smith street
witnessing intense make out sessions on Smith street
meeting UT journalism alum
talking about Lady Gaga and bringing down the man

friday day 6

At 9:30am the power cut off, halting my AC and overhead fan, the things keeping my hangover in remission. I didn't want to wake up my roommates to ask them about the atrocity that was taking place, but I couldn't go back to sleep and the angry hammer in my brain was rising steadily. We had tripped a breaker, which tends to happen when all four roommates have their ACs and fans on simultaneously.

This brings me to another interesting fact: my apartment is pretty shitty/gross/sickening. At night, little moths fly around the house, and there's a large squashed cockroach in the bathroom that no one has the balls to throw away. Can't wait to jet outta that place...

saturday day 7


Brooklyn Public Library



Brooklyn Museum of Art

Andy Warhol


Basquiat/Warhol Collabo




Mickalene Thomas 'A Little Taste Outside of Love' 2007


A bejeweled, reclining black woman replaces the nude white goddess from classical Venus paintings. I love subversion.

"Oil painting was never satisfying to me. I always felt like I had to put something on it or it was never finished." -Mickalene Thomas. 

I feel that.



2 comments:

CarolinaDivina said...

i want to have a frozen rum-a-lum with you!
love it..the grit and sweat - i'm there!

my secret word is morbedse - as in The new Scandinavian design furniture store sells a special recliner for the morbidly obese called the morbedse!

CarolinaDivina said...

my secret word is ballym - as in didja ballym or not?